The Portugal Golden Visa program has proven to be the most popular scheme in Europe with investors attracted to its flexibility and benefits. Launched in 2012 the investor visa program has been actively promoted internationally by the Portuguese government. An investment of €500,000 (or €350,000 & €280,000 reduced option) in real estate in Portugal will gain a residency permit for a family including dependent children. The golden visa can be renewed every two years providing the applicant spends two weeks in the country every two years.
One of the most attractive options is the ability to apply for permanent residency and citizenship after 5 years without the need to reside in Portugal. In fact, the applicant and their family need only visit for two weeks every two years in order to renew the Portuguese Golden Visa. In Portugal citizenship can be granted without the applicant having resided in the country. However the investor having acquired residency through the golden visa programme will need to demonstrate ties to the country and pass a basic language test. Citizenship of Portugal and a second passport conveys the right to live, work and study anywhere in the European Union. The Portuguese residency card granted through the golden visa programme allows the holder to travel throughout the EU Schengen zone.
The following investments qualify for portugese golden visa scheme.
1. Business : Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €1,000,000 Euros;
2. Real estate property: The purchase of real estate property with a value equal to or above €500,000 Euros;
3. Real estate refurbishing: The purchase of real estate property, with construction dating back more than 30 years or located in urban regeneration areas, for refurbishing, for a total value equal to or above 350,000 or 280,000 Euros;
4. Research & Technology: Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €350,000 Euros for investing in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technology system;
5. Art, Culture & Public interest: Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €250,000 Euros for investing in artistic output or supporting the arts, for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage, through the local and central authorities, public institutions, public corporate sector, public foundations, private foundations of public interest, networked local authorities, local corporate sector organizations, local associations and public cultural associations, pursuing activities of artistic output, and reconstruction or maintenance of the national heritage;
6. Investment funds: Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €350,000 Euros, for purchasing shares in investment funds or in venture capital geared to capitalize small and medium companies that, in turn, must present a feasible capitalization plan.
7. Business Investment : Starting €10,000 Job creation at least, 10 job positions; Contact us for more details.
The following fees are payable to the Government and SEP (immigration office).
Government Processing Fee
Initial investor residency permit
Renewal of residence permit
Residence permit for family members
Real estate transfer Tax 8%
Financial Management and Fiscal Representation (0.5% per year)
Real estate stamp duty 0.8%
Property Transfer Service 1.5%
Permanent residency application